Friday, May 22, 2009

I Can't Live Without My Radio...Or Can I?

As the era of new media continues to reshape the landscape, Brandweek reports on a medium that has been hit especially hard: radio.

How bad? According to this article, the radio industry suffered its worst quarter in history. As a whole, the industry fell a whopping 24%.

This story hit home with me on a personal level. I spent two years of my life training for a career in radio broadcasting and almost four years working in the radio industry. I have a lot of great memories of working in the business, much of which are trade secrets that I'll take to the grave. However, I ultimately got to a point where I wanted to try on some new hats.

Even back then, I knew that the medium I was pursuing a career in was heading towards some tough times due to the advent of the Internet and the iPod. I'm not sure if this recent news is a sign of the beginning of the end or just a rough quarter, but I know I'd be sad should the day come if/when traditional radio is no more.


Sources: Brandweek and thehometeam

0 comments: