Wednesday, May 20, 2009

LEADERS OF THE NEW: Scott Boniface

Leaders of the New is an ongoing series at jettlandicho.com that will focus on the future talents of advertising. Click here to check the archives.


Name: Scott Boniface

Career Path: Copywriter

Education: Seneca College- Creative Advertising Diploma

Advertising Experience: 5-months of internship experience

One Thing About You: I do my best to remind myself daily that life’s too short for the negatives.

Contact: saboniface@hotmail.com, 647-404-3078

Full interview after the break!

When did you know that advertising was for you?

This question provokes a fantastic lie about how an ad, or tagline changed my life forever. Unlike some I don’t have that defining fork in the road that got me hyped on advertising. I was just psyched about the creative writing and sheer brilliance being showcased. Today I’m a groupie of great creative. There’s no better feeling than coming up with a great idea, or reveling in one you wish was yours. I do believe this is one of the best jobs in the world and am blessed to feel the passion everyday.


Describe your creative process. How do you brainstorm? How do you keep track of ideas? How do you know when one of your ideas is good? What do you do when you're creatively stumped.

I stare Hemmingway’s “white bull” in the eyes and jump on it’s back. Then ride it for a couple seconds until I get thrown on my ass. Then I get a coffee.

Joking aside, I think it’s crucial to immerse yourself with the product/service benefits, past advertising and as many google links as I possibly can. Then put my pencil to paper (Not fingers to keys) and start with some terrible unclear ideas I would never show anyone.

A great tactic I often try is one of Luke Sullivan’s tips for getting started. I’ve found it can almost always give you the initial tools needed to get the ideas flowing. “This is an ad about…” then I’ll just write until I’m out of things to say, and ways to say them.

Incubation is also a great tool. Doing anything to separate yourself from the problem at hand. You could watch a movie, ride a bike or do some jumping jacks, whatever your in the mood for. Then return with a fresh mind ready to tackle your previous thoughts. Narrow them down until only the strong survive.

You’ll know you have that bullet proof idea when you’re feeling giddy like a 5th grade school girl meeting The Jonas Brothers.

Good feeling… Good feeling…


How did you get from being a student to being an intern at Fjord?

Well, I would have never heard about the opportunity without Anthony Kalamut’s undeniable ear secured to the industry’s pulse.

I did my best to shake the nerves off, get my book ready and tried to show that I was capable and worthy of the opportunity being presented. I showed my book to the CD who has since become one of the nicest and most supportive people I’ve met in the industry thus far. I got a call back, started two weeks later and am still trying to prove my worth everyday.


Describe a day in the life of Scott Boniface at Fjord.

I stare at people on the GO train and wonder where it is they work, and some potential storylines of their life. Weird I know, but it’s something I’ve always done. Judge me if you must. You’ve done it, I’m sure of it.

I walk from Union to King & Spadina, usually with a big smile just feeling blessed to have the opportunity to come downtown everyday and do something I love.

I arrive and elevate to the creative floor and say hello to the immense talent that fills the building, get a coffee/tea and start the day. Whether its for a brief, helping another writer or some portfolio work on the side. I try my best to dedicate my 8+ hours here a day to learning, growing and writing to the best of my ability.

I’m involved in briefings, conference calls, brainstorming sessions, preparing copy decks and mood boards. Anything they need/want/feel comfortable with me doing I’ll do with a big smile all the while.

Then I head home and stare at some more people on the GO train. But now… as they sleep. (Okay, that was creepy)


What’s the biggest difference between writing for traditional media versus writing for interactive? Do you have a preference?

While attracting attention is what advertising is all about, I feel that the interactive world also relies heavily on the CTA, which is actually the most challenging part. Why would anyone feel inclined to click that banner? I know when I’m online that’s the last thing I want to do. It’s challenging to break through the clutter in an interesting, innovative way when everyone’s so conditioned to online ads.

Although I don’t really have a preference, I know that the way the interactive world is taking charge it’s important to stay involved and updated on what’s being done, and more so, what’s possible.


You’re one of the biggest hip-hop fans I know. Do you have any sort of plans or ambitions of working on something hip-hop related in your advertising career? Has hip-hop influenced your approach to writing or your approach to life in general?

Haven’t thought much about it honestly. About a year ago I approached a couple websites I loved about possibly writing some album reviews or daily blogs but it never really fell through.

I would love to, because there really is nothing I know more about than hip-hop culture, from the very beginning till’ today. Its something that has always been a passion of mine, and it’s never going to stop. Not as long as true hip-hop stays alive.

In terms of my life, the culture has helped shape who I am today.


If you could give one piece of advice for any aspiring copywriters out there, what would it be?

Soak it up like a sponge, Continue to learn and grow daily.


What do you do for fun?

Skateboard, Listen to music, Writing (advertising, poetry, short stories) and I try my best to experience life for everything it offers in some way everyday. I just put my best foot forward and learn something new everyday.


E-Elevator Pitch: Sell yourself in 140 characters or less.

Scott Boniface- Creative Copywriter- Seneca College- Creative Advertising- 5 months+ of agency experience. Passion, Talent, Persistence.

If you're an advertising student or are just starting out in the business and would like to be featured on Leaders of the New, send me an email at jettlandicho@gmail.com

0 comments: