Thursday, June 11, 2009

The Facebook Username Scramble



You probably already know this, but come this Saturday at 12:01 AM, there will be a mad scramble of users trying to get their user name because they can't spend another day as Facebook ID # 103898908909022. If your name is John Smith, you might as well give up now.

Are you excited to finally not be a number anymore? No? Me neither.

Will I make a mad scramble like everybody else to get the name I want? Probably.

Facebook says they're doing it to make it easier to find people, but I never really had a problem finding people on Facebook, and people who wanted to add me don't seem to have a problem finding me either. And I never access Facebook in a way where I need to check out specific profiles on a consistent basis.

The only reason I'm remotely interested in this is for the mad scramble that is bound to happen when the time comes. Will Facebook crash? Will Bob Joe in Kentucky take Oprah away from Oprah and charge her a gazillion dollars to get it back? Will it actually make a notable impact on the Facebook experience in the long run? Will anybody care within 24 hours of this launching?

Probably not. But I'll be here, hitting F5 over and over until I can finally get my hands on facebook.com/keyboardcat.

0 comments: