Sunday, April 12, 2009

Jett, This Is Your Life

It is with a heavy heart that I find myself at the account status section of my old blog. I think it's time to pull the plug on an old friend.

Back in 2003, I was blogging before I even knew the word "blog" existed. To me, it was an online diary, and I treated it as such. Well, I treated it more like a personal diary, with the caveat that maybe someone else in the universe would find it.

As a teenager with a lot of pent up thoughts and emotions, having that extra outlet to vent worked wonders. Whether I was writing a happy or sad post, I could express that feeling and hit that "Post" button for closure. It was really weird going back and reading those old entries. It stirred up a lot of weird feelings in me. It also made me realize that I've matured a lot from the days of writing about lost love or random moments in life.

Writing that blog made me realize how powerful a blog could be. I thought nobody would ever care about what I had to say, but apparently a lot of people did. Many of my friends said they were active followers of my blog. Every now and then, I would receive random comments from people all over the world. What really freaked me out was the fact that I was ranked within the top million at one point on Technorati. To me, what I was writing was strictly for myself. The world thought otherwise.

From there, I decided to start a podcast to reach out to the world a bit more. Over 1,000 people subscribed to that before it had to end. It's still crazy to me to see the power you possess when you have an idea and an outlet on the Internet. It was through those "trial runs" that made me realize that I could achieve so much more if I structure it for a larger target audience while keeping the personality that made my old blog worth following.

Through that blog, I became a stronger person, found my voice in life and established a life plan. Ultimately, part of that life plan included starting a new blog that featured a new coat of professionalism and maturity. Since school ended, jettlandicho.com has been great as a tool with a much broader scope than my original blog. It's more than just a place to express my emotions. It's a place to create and build on career opportunities not only for myself, but for The Leaders of the New as well.

I'll forever cherish my old blog. I put in over 6 years of my life into it, with over 600 entries. It's hard to see it go, but it's for the best. The entire thing is backed up, should I ever choose to publish it or something. But it's time to move on, and I'd feel more comfortable removing it from public view than abandoning it for the cyber-squatters to tarnish.


Goodbye, old friend. Thanks for the memories. I'll do you proud on this one.

"I can't predict the future, but I can place myself in a position today where I'll be better off tomorrow."

- Me, "Coming of Age", September 28, 2004

0 comments: