Monday, April 27, 2009

Konami Code Integration Makes ESPN Website Awesome



(UPDATE 10:21PM: The unicorns have been taken down. However, if you use the cached version of the site, you'll still get the magical goodness. Also, if you'd like to learn more about the significance of the Konami code, check out the Wikipedia article.)

I was surfing Kotaku just now and I found this awesome story about a trick you can do on the ESPN website. For some reason, if you enter in the sacred Konami code (that's up, up, down, down, left, right, left, right, B, A for those unfamiliar), images of unicorns and rainbows will appear. The more buttons you press, the more images pop up.

To me, it seems as though the developer of the site created this "Easter Egg" for no apparent reason other than the fact that it's hilarious. It'll be interesting to see how ESPN responds, because I don't think that's something you can fix right away.

However, the idea of input codes on websites could have legs. To ESPN's chagrin, I'm sure that traffic to their site is booming right now. I could see it working beyond its use as an Easter Egg. How else do you think a company can use input codes such as this for the power of good?



That trick made my day. It's got me thinking that now's a good time to whip out the old Nintendo and blaze through Contra for the millionth time using the classic code.



0 comments: