Tuesday, April 28, 2009

LEADERS OF THE NEW: Alex Bird

Leaders of the New is an ongoing series at jettlandicho.com that will focus on the future talents of advertising. Click here to check the archives.

Name: Alex Bird

Career Path: Copywriting

Education: York University BFA, Seneca College - Creative Advertising

Advertising Experience: Two years of ad school; two month internship at Cossette.

One Thing About You:
I could be good at any job. I can be great in advertising.

Contact: alex.m.bird@gmail.com

Alex did an informational interview with Matt Bielby, and for every question Matt answered, he wanted Alex to answer too. Read Alex's answers after the jump!

Why advertising? What drew you into it?

Charm.

When I finished studying music at York, I knew two things:

1) I didn't want three part time jobs to support a career in music and
2) I still wanted a career that was both creative and fun.

The award shows, after-parties, creative environment, dedication to excellence and cool vibe that I see on a consistent basis just support my reasons to want in on it.


What’s your story? How did you get in?

Coincidence.

You could also say luck. I talked to a buddy of mine (who's now at TAXI Vancouver) at my brother's wedding, shortly after I finished my undergrad. I can't imagine a more unlikely set of circumstances that led me to talk to him about his gig in advertising. Perhaps it was boredom, intrigue, or maybe even desperation. Regardless, here I am, and I'm glad I'm here. Prior to that moment, I hadn't given advertising a lick of thought.


What does advertising mean to you?

Creativity.

And a lot of hard work. But there's something special about that moment when you and your partner reach that creative breakthrough; that lightning bolt instance when everything clicks. It's a rare quality to find in a profession and one that I love to pursue. I was also going to go with "fun." As Jerry Della Femina said, it's the most fun you can have with your clothes on.

A piece from Alex's portfolio

What is the best part of the business?

People.

If it was charm that drew me into advertising, it's the people that keep me here. I've never seen such support and nurturing of talent anywhere else. The energy, passion, excitement and humility that is shared by so many is a constant source of inspiration.


What is the worst part, if there is one?

Frustration.

The frustration that comes from writer's block. The frustration that comes from finding out that your fantastic award-winning idea was just done by someone else. The frustration that comes from clients who kill your ideas for reasons that defy intelligible thought. Well, I haven't personally experienced that last one, but I do remember a line from Luke Sullivan about a client that killed a two month old campaign between sips of coffee with a happy little "good first effort." However, frustration is a healthy part of the creative process, and I think that it makes the finished product that much more fulfilling.



What’s your favourite media channel?

All.

A copywriter named Matt Bielby opened up my eyes with this question. It's not so much about media as it is about ideas, finding the right way to reach the consumer, and applying them to whatever media channel you're given.


Which do you like better: traditional or non-conventional?

Depends.

It's all about the ideas and how good the concept is overall. Any project is going to be aggravating if you're stuck with a really bad concept. Likewise, a great concept can be really rewarding throughout the entire creative process. Pushing a great idea through any media channel is awesome. Trying to push a bad idea sucks.


There are a whole bunch of reasons to love visually-based ads: no language barrier, they’re pleasing to the eye, easy to understand in a few seconds; do you think that long-copy ads, or even just copy-based ads in general, are on the way out? Or is this just another trend?

Interest.

I also want to say multiculturalism. Language barriers don't help, and smart lines can be misunderstood by anyone who can't grasp certain colloquial expressions. But I think that it's the writer's job to figure that out. People will read anything if it sparks their interest. Great copy written in English can still speak their language.


Do you think that consumers are interested in reading long copy? Or is it good copywriting that lures them in? Better yet, does it simply depend on the target audience?

Audience.

Heh. Yeah, I know. I answered the question when I asked it. People will read whatever they find interesting, no matter how short or long it is. Long copy needs to be extremely gripping at the beginning or they just won't bother, and good writing is paramount. In a chat I had with Steve Jurisic, he told me to always make it simple, original and provocative.

A sample of Alex's long copy work

How do you stay creative?

Questions.

It's about thinking differently, and asking "what if?" There are no wrong ideas, and everything is relevant. I don't like it when people say no to an idea. It kills the creative atmosphere. I also want to say that the people I work with boost my creativity. We feed off of each other and work to make our ideas better. That nurturing environment keeps ideas fresh and interesting.


What’s a typical day in your shoes?

Workaholic.

Let's just say I skipped my own birthday to finish a research project that was due in two weeks. My buds often joke that I go home to work on next semester's assignments. I try to read everything, I try to stay current with everything, and most of all I try make time so I can polish my portfolio. I get up, scan the media, go to school, read ad mags, go to class, spend too much time getting an A, work on my portfolio, come home, get pressured into late night partying, and repeat. School has such a "same sh*t, different day" feel to it. Maybe I'm just eager to get into the industry.

If you're an advertising student or are just starting out in the business and would like to be featured on Leaders of the New, send me an email at jettlandicho@gmail.com

0 comments: