Friday, April 3, 2009

Rick Rolling and the Online Cultural Movement Behind Rick Astley

image from Nuclear Family Warhead

Odds are, at some point in your life, you've been the victim of a Rick Roll. Heck, you might have been victimized as recently as April Fool's day 2009 by jerks like me.

Apparently, due to deceiving Twitter posts like mine, over 500,000 people got Rick Rolled two days ago. That's pretty good for a prank that people have had about two years to figure out and get tired of.

I still find it hilarious how the Internet community made Rick Astley and the song "Never Gonna Give You Up" relevant again after all these years. And in such a weird context. I'm sure he doesn't dislike being big enough to Rick Roll the Macy's Parade last Christmas, but somewhere in his heart he must think, "Damn...I sold millions of records in my prime, and all people will ever remember me for is the Rick Roll."

Due to the nature of Internet humour, jokes usually burn out really quick. But if those numbers are any indication, there's a chance that maybe the Rick Roll will remain as the Internet's equivalent of a whoopee cushion.

Oh, before I go, I saw this amazing goal by Linus Omark that you have to see!

0 comments: